“Fatso, big belly, fat man, big momma” these are terms that are related to having too much fat. No one likes being called these names. So it is time to do something about it. Here are 18 tips to get skinny:
- Increase your muscles. Fat does not like muscles! How can you increase your muscles? Do weight training – you know, those barbells and dumbbells that are heavy to lift. The more muscle you have, the better able you are to burn fat.
- Train harder. Get that fat out of breath. Your body easily gets used to normal training so if you lift weights, walk or play sport, do it harder!
- Plan your training. Make a plan for eating and exercising and relaxation. Write it down.
- Find a partner to train with. Combat fat with the help of another person. You can help motivate each other.
- Train at a regular time. Fight fat regularly. The longer you can keep exercising, the better the chance you will be able to keep the fat off.
- Get and stay motivated. Set realistic goals. Your goals should be specific and measurable. Change your goals if you need to. When exercising, keep remembering your goals.
- Do circuit training. It is a great way to lose your fat. Circuit training classes focus on fitness and strength.
- Enjoy what you do. If you get bored doing one exercise, change to something else. The important thing is to keep going. I always mix my training up. If I get bored with weights and classes, I will swim and play basketball instead.
- Eat less fat. Starve fat! Saturated fats are bad for you. You can find saturated fats in animal and dairy products. And yes, that does mean turtle, dugong, chicken, coconut milk and cream, and full cream milk. However, monosaturated fats are quite good for you – these are in avocados, olive oil and nuts.
- Avoid fried foods. These foods make you fat. So next time you go to the shop, avoid those pies, fried fish, fried chicken, pizza and chips. Instead, try a sandwich and a fruit juice. You will feel better about it.
- Water, water, water. Drink lots and lots of water. Drink more than 6 glasses of water a day. If you feel thirsty, it means you are already dehydrated. Drink up!
- Stop bad habits. This means stop drinking tea and coffee and stop smoking cigarettes.
- Reduce your alcohol. Most people eat when they drink. People love to eat chips, nuts, dim sims, spring rolls, fried chicken, pizza and other fatty foods when they drink alcohol. Your body will use alcohol energy first and store the food you eat as fat. Yuk!
- Eat regularly. People freak out when I tell them to eat 5 meals a day. But it is not about eating 5 normal (big) meals, it is about eating 5 small meals a day. The process of eating burns calories. If you skip meals, the inside of your body will slow down because it thinks you are starving it! Your body starts to panic. It is not true that the less you eat the thinner you become. Keep your body fuelled up and have more energy to burn. But make sure you choose healthy foods.
- Don’t feel bad. We are all human. If you eat a whole block of chocolate one day, don’t stress. It is important what you do over a long period of time. Get back on track with healthy eating and exercise and don’t feel guilty.
- Don’t shop when hungry. If you go to the shop and you are hungry you are more likely to buy something which you can eat straight away. This usually means an ice block, chips, chocolate bar or soft drink. So eat before you go shopping and choose healthy foods.
- Eat the right fat. Natural fat found in fish is used in the brain, immune system and cardiovascular system. But don’t make the mistake of frying your fish in oil. Try baking, boiling or grilling it instead.
- Get the support of your family. If someone in your family wants to try and lose weight, do not mock them or keep telling them that they are fat. This will make it harder for them to lose weight. Instead, try and encourage them, by saying “You are doing really well” or “Is there anything I can do to help?”
Follow the above tips and you will get skinny fast. Remember that correct eating and the right exercise will help you get the body you want and a great start to better health.