The marvelous thing about the desperation diet is that it won’t leave you either desperately hungry or bored. You can eat more goodies than you would believe, and still lose a lot of fat.
So you’ve simply got to lose some weight. And fast, too!
You hopped onto the scales yesterday, and there are only seven more days to the coast. Of course you panicked. You thought of going on a crash diet. You thought again. And groaned at the idea of a whole grueling week of being a social drop-out, grudgingly picking at lettuce leaves. And with no boozy, tasty perks to keep body and soul together. Enough to make a girl weep?
Just think again. This diet won’t smash your social life. It’s really different – you won’t be eating lettuce, or other vegetables come to that. But what you can have is your glass of wine – and the rest!
And if you stick to the rules – eat nothing that isn’t listed – you will lose up to 3 kilos (7 lb) in a week.
Enjoy all the food and drinks we’ve listed below. Have as much as you need (not as much as you can cram in!) cooked in any way and combination you fancy. But remember, don’t touch anything you can’t find listed.
- Meats: Beef, lamb, pork, veal, rabbit, bacon, mince, corned beef, ham, sweetbreads, beef tripe.
- Fish: Any white fish, smoked eel, canned salmon and tuna.
- Poultry: Chicken and turkey.
- Eggs: Eat as many as you want.
- Cheese: Any you like except cottage cheese, Parmesan (a hard, granular cheese) or processed spreads or slices.
- Fats: Lard, vegetable fats, cooking oils, butter, margarine.
- Drinks: Coffee, tea, soda water, low-calorie soft drinks.
- Extras: Consommé, stock and bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, mayonnaise, artificial sweeteners.
- Perks: You must have one cup of milk each day plus one tomato, half an orange or one mandarin. You can have one slice of bread a day – brown or white, it makes no difference. You can have a tipple, whenever you fancy. But choose from whisky, gin, vodka, rum, brandy, dry white or red wine with low-calorie mixers.
Look at all those goodies! Eggs, cheese, meat, fish … Oh, big deal, you say yawning. So I can eat eggs. So what. Well, if you’d stop interrupting, we’d tell you. It’s not so much what you eat as how you eat it.
Just listen to this:
Eggs: You can take that egg, whisk it up with a tot of brandy for a super pick-me-up; hard boil it, chop it up with parsley, add a dash of pepper and spread it on a slice of buttered toast; poach it and sit it on a bed of bacon, shower it with freshly milled black pepper; scramble it with grated cheese, sprinkle with paprika or chili powder.
Cheese: Oh. that’s for the mice, you say. Cheese means a whole lot of flavors in its own right. Try a slice of brie with a glass of red wine; grate good old cheddar, mix with flaked haddock and then coat with mayonnaise and mixed herbs; a cube of Stilton (an English cheese) and cold ham, and spear with elegant cocktail sticks.
Meat and poultry: Surely you won’t wrinkle your nose at these … braising steak, marinated overnight in burgundy, garlic and herbs, then slowly baked; shredded cold chicken, floating in stock for Chinese-type soup; lamb chops sprinkled with fresh rosemary, and grilled till sizzling.
Fish: Still yawning? We thought not. You see – there is enough scope for you to have fun with food and experiment, too! Next try tuna-stuffed omelets, spicy cod fillets with bubbling cheese topping, an appetizing platter of smoked fish garnished with parsley and served with a bowl of homemade mayonnaise.
Before you get stuck in: Don’t be put off by the thought of paying out for all that protein. The cheaper cuts of meat and plain, ordinary cheeses are just as good as fillet steak and Roquefort (a sheep milk blue cheese from the south of France). And prepared with a little imagination, they’re equally tasty. Just count the cost of the things you won’t be eating. They’re expensive, too.
Right then. This diet is as easy as picking up a knife and fork. But remember, it is a one-week diet – don’t stay on it for longer. And do check with your doctor that you’re fit enough to take it. Then carry on, and enjoy it. And no cheating!